Pages

Saturday 27 October 2018

Morning Delights: Protein World's Vegan Chocolate Pancakes





When I wake up craving something sweet, it's usually a decadent stack of pancakes that I want. In the past, I probably would have dismissed these cravings and instead opted for something simple and objectively nutritious, like an omelette or a dairy-free smoothie. However, over the past few years, I've become increasingly more experimental with the food that I make, which has allowed me to borrow ideas and create unique individual recipes that meet my flavour preferences and nutritional desires. It's all about having an awareness of what foods and ingredients are good for you, experimenting with them and incorporating them into your food. 

I think, what many people don't realise is that traditionally unhealthy foods, like pancakes, aren't always bad for your body. If you replace some of the ingredients with healthier alternatives, you can easily create a nutritional meal, one that you don't have to restrict from your eating habits. 

On the occasion that I'm craving pancakes, I experiment with the recipe using different ingredients that are hidden away in the cupboard and fridge. While we may desire different flavours and textures on our pancakes, I've finally formulated a recipe that I think is pretty foolproof! It's not a strict recipe and most of the ingredients are optional, depending on your palette and mood. You can be creative, or you can be traditional, and the pancakes will still be delicious.

My favourite thing to do when making pancakes is to substitute the flour for protein powder. Specifically, Protein World's Slender Blend. While this isn't obligatory, I like to ensure that I'm eating a high-protein diet and eliminating white flour where I can, and with the chocolatey tones, it's hard to resist! Again, this is just a personal preference and a delicious alternative!








                 
Total Time: 30 minutes
12-14 pancakes
Ingredients
    Wet:
  • 300ml non-dairy milk - I opt for soya 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted + more for frying
    Dry:
  • 200g chocolate vegan slender blend - or any protein blend or buckwheat flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
           Optional Ideas:
  • A handful of vegan chocolate chips
  • A handful of fruit - I opt for bananas or raspberries
  • 1 tbsp spices e.g. cinnamon, nutmeg
  • 50ml juice from squeed fruit
           Topping Ideas:
  • Flaked almonds
  • Chopped hazelnut
  • Agave nectar syrup
  • Fruit
  • Vegan chocolate
Instructions
  1. In two separate bowls, mix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients until they are combined.
  2. Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients, whisking until smooth.
  3. Stir in any additional ingredients, like fruit and/or chocolate.
  4. Heat up a frying pan on medium heat with a heaped tsp of coconut oil. Wait for the pan to heat up slightly and then pour a portion of pancake batter onto the pan, making a small circular pancake.
  5. Depending on the heat of your pan, wait for the bubbles on the pancakes to collapse and batter to cook. This normally takes about 2-3 minutes.
  6. Flip with a spatula and cook on another side for an additional 1-2 minutes.
  7. Repeat process with all the batter.
  8. Stack pancakes and serve with whatever topping you like