Pages

Sunday 7 October 2018

Resonating On The Significance Of Friendship



Last night, something hit me. While my best friend and I were getting ready to go out for our friend's birthday, we enthusiastically belted the lyrics to 'Mysterious Girl' whilst box-stepping in time to the beat of Peter Andre's silvery timbre. We made a fool of ourselves in ways we wouldn't around others and laughed like lunatics until our stomachs hurt. Or, in our cases, until we awkwardly ran to the toilet. Did I not mention that we'd been sipping on pink G&Ts? Well, I suppose that was a given. 

It hit me. It hit me that, a big part of who I am and who I have become has a lot to do with my friends, the extraordinary group of people I've had the honour of surrounding myself with. I cherish my family as much as I do my friends because they too ARE my family; the bonds we share are raw and real; we chose one another. But, aside from my lovely little family, I realised that some of my closest friends have played a very important role in my growth, my mental stability, and when my life has hit rock bottom, they showed me the light at the end of the tunnel, proceeding with a hefty box of chocolates, ofc.

Without intending to, friends guide you and help you learn valuable lessons, not only about yourself but about life and the big ol' scary world that we're living in. And that jagerbombs are a bad idea.

By nature, I'm soft, gentle and relatively reserved. I always have been and I guess part of me always will. Though, as I've got older, I've finally begun to appreciate and value the introverted qualities I hold rather wanting to change. Despite this new-found respect I have for myself, I know that without my friends I'd still be (somewhat) shy, nervous and dependent. Naturally (depending on the situation) timidity can possess me, but no longer do I struggle with having such little self-confidence and self-belief. It's all thanks to them. They've helped me grow by boosting my happiness and improving my confidence, and I owe them my life. Well, within reason xo

I've always loved my friends. The old and the new. But, admittedly, going away to university and meeting a wonderful group of new people, while reminiscing on the memories made with my friends from home made me realise and appreciate the true significance of friendship. Moving away has also helped shine a light on what an unhealthy friendship is and how to avoid possessing any nasty qualities within a friendship group. This may make no sense, but if you know, you know.

Though I currently believe in the importance of prioritising friendships, that wasn't always the case. There have been times in my life where I've unknowingly pushed people away, good people, due to a poor balance between friends, relationships and work. Part of me wants to say that I'm ashamed, but, I guess, in reality, making such a poor mistake and coming to terms with my error has helped prevent a re-occurrence. I can't speak on behalf of everyone, but, I do think at some point or other we all experience living an unbalanced life and, alas, we jeopardise things that are truly important. But its okay. We live and we learn.

It's astounding how just one person can enhance my mood and make me smile till my cheeks hurt. It also baffles me how my friends can read emotions and pick up when something's wrong. Between you and I, without sounding delusional, the way we're able to connect with our friends is almost telepathic; it's magical. Just yesterday, as I laughed (and snorted) with a friend about an old ongoing joke, I realised how truly blessed I am to have such like-minded and loyal people in my life. People that I hope will be by my side as I rock back and forth roaring with laughter in my old age. 

When I start to get smile lines, I think I'll blame my friends.